Monday, March 31, 2014

SAINT PATRICK'S PRAYER

I know spring has come when I'm awakened by chipping birds, and the scent of orange blossoms drift through my open bedroom window.  Most of all, I know it's spring when what appeared to be dead comes alive!

Speaking in terms of the weather, it is said that March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb. I hope that will be true this year because much of our country has suffered through unusual bitter cold and piles of snow. Those who live in the cold climates treasure the budding of trees, blossoming of flowers and bright spring green grass.

My first born son Steve was born in March, and this month another baby, Braya Lynn, was added to our east coast family. The NCAA College Basketball Finals, referred to as 'March Madness' are enjoyed by many and we have fun trying to guess who will win the national title.

For the Irish, and Irish-at-heart, St. Patrick's Day on March 17th is celebrated with great gusto around the globe. It's a tradition to wear green clothing that day. Originally, the color for St. Patrick, called the Patron Saint of Ireland, was a bright blue. At some point, the blue was changed for green. Because Ireland's hills and dales are covered with green grasses it became known as the 'Emerald Isle'. St. Patrick used the native Irish clover, called shamrock, to explain the concept of one God in three persons, the Trinity - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. 

This may surprise you, but St. Patrick wasn't even Irish. He was born in the 5th century in Roman-controlled Britain. He was kidnapped and enslaved by the Irish when he was 16 years old. He became a Christian and after he was released from slavery he journeyed back to Britain, then returned to Ireland and continued to share the gospel and live his life for Christ. I believe the prayer of St. Patrick, written by him, date uncertain, is worthy of reading. He died in 46l A.D. and I have no doubt that I'll be meeting this saint in heaven someday.
       
Prayer of St. Patrick

I rise today
Through the strength of heaven;
Light of the sun,
Speed of lightening,
Swiftness of the wind,
Depth of the sea,
Stability of the earth;
Firmness of the rock.

I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me;
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's hosts to save me,
Afar and anear,
Alone or in a multitude,
Christ shield me today
Against wounding,

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.

I arise today
Through the mighty strength
Of the Lord of Creation.

Yes, St. Patrick, kidnapped and enslaved in a foreign land came to know God and in a very real personal way. And so can we - God has provided the way through Jesus Christ. I am very sure that St. Patrick was well aware of this verse. . .

"For in him we live and move and have being." Acts 17:28

Thank you Lord for giving me just a little time today to share this beautiful prayer written by your St. Patrick. May it bless everyone who reads and shares it with others.