Sunday, May 11, 2014

BEFORE YOU WERE BORN, I LOVED YOU


 
 
 
 
 
"Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born, I loved you. Before you were here an hour, I would die for you. This is the power of love."  Maureen Hawkins

One day, my husband and I were strolling along the main street on Coronado Island in San Diego and I spotted this plaque in the window of a small shop. I loved it and took this photo. It said all the things I'd like my children to know and understand.

If I, as a flawed human being, can feel this emotion toward my children, just think how powerful the emotion and passion God our Creator feels towards His children. Most of us of us will never be called upon to die for our children. But God voluntarily gave up His life for His children; those who would come to believe in Him. He calls us His "sheep", and He is our good shepherd.  

"He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice."  John 10: 3-4

Most of us want to be a perfect mom, or dad. Humanly speaking, we  sometimes experience failure, but know that the child entrusted to you was designed especially for you. This may be hard to see as difficulties arise, but trust what the Lord is doing. By faith believe that you are the perfect parent for your child. As you believe this you will act on the truth and be able to become who you want to be.

We as human parents often struggle a great deal to get our children to follow us. Jesus doesn't have this problem. Scripture says we, the sheep, listen to His voice. Even though my children are now adults, I sometimes  shout, 'listen to me'! There is a reason God has chosen the parent-child relationship to help us understand spiritual truth. We all are a parent or a child, or both. We can identify with the analogy.

"I give them eternal life and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one." John 10: 28 -29

We can know this - that Jesus and God are one - only through the revelation of the Holy Spirit. Our mind is not capable of discovering this incredible truth, which is the heart of Christianity, in any other way. This allows for equality among us, one not 'better' than another. God has chosen His children from the creation of the world - Ephesians 1:4, long before we were born, based solely on His grace. We can't earn His love and salvation and faith is a free gift. Ephesians 2:8 - 9.

You will be so blessed if you take the time to read the whole 10th chapter of the Gospel of John. I call it the 'Sheep Chapter'.

Lord, I pray that you direct your sheep to Your living Word and into the fold so they will come to know you as their Shepherd.