Saturday, August 2, 2014

HOLD ON TO WHAT IS TRUE

This is a very unusual summer day for Southern California. It's warm, humid and raining. We so terribly need the rain and are very grateful. My little bird friends seem to be hiding today. No hummingbirds buzzing around the feeders. I'm sure the weather analysts will go on forever as to what has caused our rainy day. They make everything so complicated. God knew we needed rain and He sent us what we needed. I really do think it's that simple.

        As time allows, I continue to edit past blogs for another book. Most days time doesn't allow for much editing. I can be upset or frustrated, or I can realize the truth - the next book will be done in God's perfect time. It won't be late, certainly not early and if that's not so, I've been holding on to a false truth.

        I enjoy editing because I read what God has written through my hand and re-learn from His truth. This is the first time in nearly 150 blogs that I have re-posted an old blog. It was written in November of 2011. Spiritual truth doesn't lose its impact, doesn't get old or stale; it remains fresh and encouraging.


HOLD ON TO WHAT IS TRUE
 

We were living in Los Angeles. I was six or seven years old. One day in early December my mother and I took the bus downtown. We were going to do some Christmas shopping at a large department store. It must have been chilly that day because my mother put on her green wool winter coat. We had moved from Chicago to LA when I was five years old. My parents were grateful that we no longer had to contend with Chicago’s cold and snow. 

        When we arrived at the store, we waited for an elevator along with a crowd of people, all anxious to begin their holiday shopping. When the elevator door opened I was pushed and shoved; a small child in the midst of a sea of adults. My mother lost my hand, but I kept my focus on the green coat and followed her into the elevator. It was warm and stuffy, a faint aroma of perfume hung in the air. I held on to the soft wool green coat. When the elevator stopped and everyone poured out, I looked up and saw the woman whose coat I’d been clutching was not my mother! I was terrified, lost in a huge department store without any idea where she was.

        My point is this…I followed the wrong person and got lost. I’m much more interested in being true to God’s Word than in being politically correct. We live in an all-inclusive religious tolerance way of thinking today. You will often hear someone say, “There are many roads that lead to God”, or “All paths will lead to heaven.” The Bible says very clearly that there is only one way to have a relationship with God and that is through Jesus Christ.

I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6

        Narrow-minded? Yes, for sure, but this is God’s plan. Who are we to say that we have a better one? Don’t follow the wrong person or the wrong group and get lost. Eternity is forever and it’s important to know that you are holding on to the right One.

        If you stand up for Biblical truth, trust me – someone will ridicule you, make you feel guilty and cause you to examine your belief. This is actually a good thing. We need to examine what we believe and why we believe it. I’ve discovered if you show any inkling of having Biblical knowledge, and especially if you write a blog on God’s Word and have written books applying Scripture to real life situations, you will be plied with questions. The questions are usually stated in this way…


WHAT DO YOU THINK?

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT. . ?

DO YOU BELIEVE THAT. . ?

It doesn’t matter what I think, feel or believe. What matters is the source of information that confirms the Christian faith. The source is God’s Word in the form of the Bible. So a better way to ask a question would be…

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT…?

OR, CAN YOU DIRECT ME TO A BIBLE PASSAGE THAT WILL GIVE INFORMATION ON…?

        We may opine on many things, but giving an opinion of a Biblical passage is not like giving an opinion about a book, movie or restaurant. Keep in mind that you can pull a verse out of context and completely distort its intent. Scripture explains Scripture and passages of Scripture are validated by supporting verses. Be careful who you follow, or you will get lost! Be sure you are following the right path. Don’t hold onto a myth or humanistic philosophy.

“A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions” Proverbs 18:2

         King Solomon wrote this and he was a very wise man. If you read the Proverbs, you’ll find Solomon has a lot to say about wisdom and opinions. I think many of us have listened to a lot of people who love to air their opinions. We, who believe, know that the Bible is not for gaining knowledge alone, but to change our life; giving us peace and hope in every circumstance and dilemma we experience.

         Be aware that the Lord loves His children and doesn’t want negative emotions to interfere with our joy in life and our love for Him. When we’re having a hard time, maybe we need to change our focus and stop looking at ourselves, our problems, or potential problems. Hold on to the Heavenly Father and visualize His Kingdom. Concentrate on the one who loves you and has a perfect plan and purpose for all that happens, Ephesians 1:11.

 Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, O Lord. They rejoice in your name all day long; they exult in your righteousness.” Psalm 89: 15 – 16.

 Thank you Lord that we can always look to you for peace and calm in our lives and be fully assured that YOU Lord will keep us from falling and present us before His glorious presence, without fault and with great joy! Jude 24