Thursday, May 21, 2015

A MISSED MOTHER'S DAY


"There are two lasting bequests we can hope to leave for our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings."  ~ Unknown author

You can't miss Mother's Day when God has entrusted you with five children. I sometimes feel a bit smothered by the reality of being 'the mother'. This is one relationship that is not easy to ignore; it will last until your final breath. I must admit, a perfect day for me might be to totally ignore my whole family, even our little dog, grab my sun hat, a good book and sit on the beach. The rhythm of the waves reminds me that if the Lord can control and contain the oceans of the world, He can handle my insignificant challenges - which sometime seem very significant to me.

I pray for my children to connect with God and know Jesus as their Lord and Savior. Everything else starts and ends with this relationship.

"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."
Colossians 2:17

Paul wrote in Romans 11:6 - "if the root is holy, so are the branches." Most Christian parents try to be 'holy', because we want our branches (the kids) to be holy. That's why it's important for them to know it is Jesus who is the Holy One, God Himself. We humanly fail, and can only be holy and righteous because of His love and forgiveness.

I continually pray for all my children not knowing what God's plan is for them, but trusting Him to make His will known. It's hard not to give advise to your grown child if you feel they are headed in the wrong direction, but we need to sometimes take a deep breath, step back, and watch them try their wings. I was e-mailing my daughter-in-law, Dawn, a few days ago and the Lord reminded me of several of my prayers for her over the past few years. Every one was answered, maybe not in the way I had planned, but the result was answered prayer. For instance, I so wanted a new home for my grandchildren. God sent a tree-tossing tornado type storm that destroyed their old home, then provided a way for them to get a new home! I never would have prayed for the storm.

We mothers often struggle with the thought that we've done the wrong thing for our child; sometimes we do in our eyes, but when we lean on God's grace and are convinced of His sovereignty, we can have peace. I spoke with a young mother recently who'd withheld some medication from her son hoping that another alternative would come to light.  It didn't, things got worse, and she fears harm has been done. I want her to know that God's timing is always perfect. If her son should have taken the medication earlier, he would have. It is God who "knit us together in our mother's womb", Psalm 139:13, He knows what our children need and when they need it. He sees the whole picture, we can only see a small portion; walk in faith, this is when peace will come.

I like what someone said about their mother, "She was our center of gravity, and saw life as a controllable project". That little belly button we all have is to remind us that we were protected and nurtured by the woman who bore us. It's a big deal to have a child, a truly momentous decision; like having your heart walking around outside of your body. We often feel that our children take us for granted, and in way, I think that's a good thing, sort of like a fish swimming in the ocean takes the water for granted. It's just there for them, no big deal. I want to be 'there' for my children, no big deal.

I wish that every baby's face was sculpted by their mother's kisses. Amazing how most of us love that baby within our body, sight unseen. We have a job to do - applaud success, weep over failures, encourage, discipline, love when it's not wanted or you don't feel the love, and eventually, let go and watch God work in your child's life. This is the hardest of all. 

Most mother's spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I put dinner on the table for a family of seven for many years. I'm still in the kitchen a lot so decorate the counter top with things I like. During the winter I had this beautiful potato plant, pictured above, on our sink. It grew from a sweet potato. I put it in water and the roots of the potato sprouted and grew into this lovely plant. I gave it fresh water and plant food so that it would grow and be healthy and strong. We nurture our children so they will grow to be healthy and strong - not only in body, but in faith.

Maybe, if you had a choice, you'd have chosen a different mother other than the one you have. You may not think you have a good one, let alone a 'perfect' one. Remember this, she may not be perfect, but she's perfect for you. You had nothing to do with choosing your mother; God arranged it all. If you were adopted, God gave you two mothers, the one who gave you birth, and the one He trusted to grow you into the person He wants you to become. There is only one of the Ten Commandments that has a promise - "Honor your mother and father so life will go well with you."

I've been occupied with the task of getting my last book to press. As of yesterday, 5/20/15, it has been published and is available on Amazon.com. The writing is easy for me, like a labor of love, the publishing part is not. Within a couple of weeks you may purchase the e-book version to download to Kindle, i Pad, whatever you have. This book, as with 'Blogging God's Word' has been written from my blogs. . .THE GOD WHO SEES ME  - by Roberta Van Hise

Lord, thank you for allowing me to be a mother. Assure me that my children see that I honor You above all. Help them to grow deep roots of faith so they can stand strong when the storms come.