Monday, June 1, 2015

HAGAR'S STORY; MOTHER OF ISHMAEL


I might have made the title of this book very long. . .'The God Who Sees Me, Loves Me, Protects Me, Died for Me, Forgives Me, Calls Me His Child. . ."

I could fill the page with words about God; but think you get the idea. I decided to keep it simple. The name is from Hagar's story in Genesis 16. Hagar was part of the household of Abraham and Sarah. God had promised Abraham that his off-spring would number as many as the stars, Genesis 15:5. He and his wife were way past child-bearing years. Ten years had gone by with no off-spring in sight. Like most of us, Abraham decided to help God with His plan instead of waiting for His perfect timing, so he slept with Sarah's servant Hagar who bore him a son, Ishmael. It's important to know that he wasn't a wayward husband; Sarah agreed to this plan.

As you might guess the two women, Sarah and Hagar, couldn't get along. When Hagar got pregnant, Sarah was jealous and mistreated her. Hagar ran away. Did you think the heroes of the Bible were good and perfect people? No, they weren't, they were just like we are; flawed and imperfect. This is why we all need a Savior. When Hagar was out in the desert alone, afraid, not knowing where she'd find refuge or to whom she belonged, the incarnate Christ met her there. She recognized Him, God in the flesh. Whenever God has appeared to man it's been in the body of Jesus. They, God and Jesus, are one in the same.

"I and the Father are one."  John 10: 10

I love the words that came from the mouth of Hagar -

"She gave this name to the Lord who spoke to her: "You are the God who sees me," for she said, "I have now seen the One who sees me." Genesis 16:13

God directed Hagar to go back to Abraham's home. He had a plan and these two women were not able to disrupt it. Try as we might, we aren't able to disrupt God's plan for us either. I can imagine that life was very different after the Lord spoke to Hagar. She and Sarah probably weren't the best of friends, but now she knew that God Himself loved her and would protect her.

Not much has changed. When we have a relationship with the Living Lord, the struggle we face becomes bearable. When we understand that He is directing His ultimate plan from above, we can be at peace, even when something doesn't look 'right' to us. As we bring the Word of God into our daily life, the calmness and confidence we desire will come. Soon, we'll see God's hand on every aspect of life and learn to trust whatever He's doing and to walk by faith.

Oops! I didn't mean to write so much - this is really to let you know about my new book. I'm so in love with my subject I get a bit 'carried away' at times. This book, like my other one, Blogging God's Word, is a collection of blogs I've written during recent times.

You can purchase it book at Amazon.com

THE GOD WHO SEES ME

by Roberta Van Hise

Thank you Lord for getting this book into print. I know you've already chosen those you want to read it. I have a hard time with all the details that need to be taken care of during the publishing process. Without You, it would never have gotten done.